W12 Congress is not another talk shop or trade show but a dynamic partnership that is action oriented and results driven, culminating in the world’s first W12 Framework
The W12 Congress will begin by assessing the issue of water crises through six expert task teams focusing on politics, economics, technical sciences, natural sciences, social sciences, and civil society. These task teams aim to aggregate knowledge within and across thematic areas, sharing best practices from different geographies, ultimately developing the Major Cities Best Practice Water Framework: the “W12 Framework”.
Knowledge will be gained and solutions will be achieved through collaborations, networking, Q & A sessions and other participatory approaches.
- Current situation of global climate change – Keynote Speech Focus
- Impacts of climate change in Cape Town
- Mitigation and adaptation
- Renewable Energy
- The importance of water both in business and daily life beyond the obvious
- Water is vital to business: poor water quality or insufficient supply can curtail or even shut down activities in business operations and the supply chain.
- Youth Engagement
- Green Economy
- What can civil society do? – create official specialist knowledge library – open source
- Equity, justice, and access (rights based approach)
International & National Press will be present to cover the event.
Due to the high interest and caliber of our international speakers and audience, we anticipate substantial media coverage of this event, which creates a perfect opportunity for the City of Cape Town to share their story and takes the global leadership in citizen-driven results on the water.
A film crew from our partner UNESCO will film the event, which will be incorporated into their Netflix Documentary ‘Water Wise: How Not to Drain a Country’ and will prove an invaluable tool for partners marketing and credibility.